Pages

3 visitors at the food place

When I eat out at stalls or open air restaurants (which I do 300 days a year) I meet a lot of visitors aiming for my ringgit. If in certain countries people are annoyed because sales people call homes during dinner time to sell products, in Malaysia the product comes straight at you when when you are eating.

First is the common 'Derma Ikhlas' who are usually visually challenged and arrives with his or her partner. The partner is supposed to be the guiding eyes, but usually when they see me they will always divert their eyes somewhere else as if acting ignorant. But last night's seeing partner looked at me eye to eye.

These people are doing a seemingly 'Halal' job but they are also a doubtful lot. There were accusations that they are being transported here and there by someone who will pocket their earnings much like a manager. How do you explain them being able to move here and there so quickly sometimes especially in the hustles and bustles of a town? I am sometimes ashamed when I think that they may be part of a begging scam when they are individual operators, but I just can't help thinking. Sometimes if I stay long enough at the 'kedai makan' I will meet three pairs of them and they make me feel guilty for spending my money on that top which I haven't even wear yet when they go from stall to stall to earn rice money.

There are also the other kind of 'derma ikhlas' people who are very golden aged uncles and aunts who do not speak a word but jingle their empty cup at me. They are more insistent as they will stand almost a full minute waiting for me to give them something. So if they stand any longer I will begin to feel like a fool.

Secondly is the makcik keropok. They remind me of my mother because they are all wrinkly and dressed in baju kurung. Sometimes I wonder how much do they earn selling their kerepeks (crackers from flour/potatoes) around town. I am not a very keen keropok eater, the one I liked most are mostly pinched from my mom's collection. Sometimes I do buy the keropok bawang which is round in shape and has swirls like the inside layer of an onion. But I am not a huge cracker eater so usually I don't buy from them.

And these makciks surely knows how to make me you feel quilty. Some will sell their crackers purely business style but some use the magic word 'Please buy for the sake of my children'. Haiyyoo... I will continue to ignore them if they push me further and I grit my teeth to prevent me from going over the top. I just can't be kurang ajar can I?

Thirdly is the DVD peddler. Ok, to be continued....

3 comments:

Eliz said...

well miss N.. i usually entertain those who's hunger and want to eat.. coz tht's real beggers.. from there i know the person is struggling to keep his strength.. hihihi :P

Naddy said...

congratulations to uuuuu dear

Ellen Whyte said...

I've learned to be very tough about this. There's too many people really needing charity so I resist these "enterprising" beggars at shops. It's not easy though!

hELLO

hELLO
:D

Followers